I have recently put up new curtains in the kitchen and living room. I made them myself when I was back in Sweden a while ago (with some help from my mum – tack mamma!)
Here’s how they look like in the lounge:
For the kitchen windows, I also wanted something black and white but with slightly more pattern. The kitchen and lounge are in the same room but kind of separate, so they needed to go well together.
But both the kitchen and lounge curtains are made in the same style, I think it’s called slot top, or they’re at least similar to slot top. And they’re pretty easy to make!
HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN CURTAINS:
1. Measure the windows and decide how long you want the curtains and how wide you want them. The wider, the more “waves”.
2. Add some inches for the hemline on all sides, especially a lot at the top (see further down why).
3. Cut the textile accordingly.
4. Fold the top hemline, approximately 10 cm, then make 3 seams (see picture below), this way you create some textile above the curtain pole and one hole for the pole. Make sure you make enough space for the pole.
5. Sew the other hemlines.
6. Iron the curtains (wrinkly curtains are ugly) and then put them up!
Picture for the 4th step above – the top hemline. The dotted lines are where you make seams.
This is my cute little sewing bag where I keep my sewing stuff!